Safety in Action Event 2019
Plans are well under way for the 21st Safety in Action Event to be held at Highlands College in July 2019. Child Accident Prevention (Jersey) has staged this annual event since 1998. Each year over 1000 year 5 students from 31 Primary Schools across the Island visit 6 interactive workshops where they receive important, practical information regarding how to stay safe. This information is delivered by enthusiastic instructors from our partner organisations.
This very important annual event in the school calendar starts on Monday 8th July and finishes on Wednesday 17th July.
Following the success of the event in 2017 and 2018 and in response to the valuable feedback we received from teachers, parents and students along with the co-operation of Highlands College and our partner organisations, we have taken the decision to continue running the event over eight days with two sessions each day. Each session now lasts 135 minutes (previously 90 minutes). The first session starts at 9.15am and finishes at 11.30am and the second session starts at 12.15pm and finishes at 2.30pm. This gives our workshop leaders more time to deliver those important safety messages and there may even be time to answer questions.
Safety in Action sits well within the Key Stage 2 curriculum as it brings together all of the safety information the children have been taught and offers the opportunity to put that knowledge into practice.
Some of the comments from teachers and parents attending the 2018 event;
- Very informative at a suitable level.
- Clear and perfect safety guidelines delivered at the right level for the audience
- Outstanding, well presented,
- Very engaging for the children, all content very relevant.
- Good variety between listening and interactive activities.
- Interactive with real life situations – great practical way for kids to learn
- All the children were engaged and keen to participate.
- Content of presentations linked to our local area/environment which was good.
- Lots of content relevant to children and families