Safety in Action Event 2020
Plans are well under way for the 22nd Safety in Action Event to be held at Highlands College in July 2020. Child Accident Prevention (Jersey) has staged this annual event since 1998. Each year over 1000 year 5 students from 30 Primary Schools across the Island visit 6 interactive workshops where they receive important, practical information regarding how to stay safe. This information is delivered by enthusiastic instructors from our partner organisations.
This very important annual event in the school calendar starts on Monday 6th July and finishes on Wednesday 15th July.
Following the success of the event in previous years and in response to valuable feedback we received from teachers, parents and students along with the co-operation of Highlands College and our partner organisations, we have taken the decision to continue running the event over eight days with two sessions each day. Each session now lasts 135 minutes (previously 90 minutes). The first session starts at 9.15am and finishes at 11.30am and the second session starts at 12.15pm and finishes at 2.30pm. This gives our workshop leaders more time to deliver those important safety messages and there may even be time to answer questions.
Safety in Action sits well within the Key Stage 2 curriculum as it brings together all of the safety information the children have been taught and offers the opportunity to put that knowledge into practice.
Some of the comments from teachers and parents attending the 2019 event;
- Lively role play really interactive, rehearsal for the real thing, learning for everyday
- The interactive workshops kept the children involved and interested
- All workshops really good and delivered in a friendly manner.
- Professionally done, well organised and kept the children engaged.
- Excellent presentation of all workshops, clear information given
- Very interactive, Lots of practical real life scenarios – makes it real and meaningful to the children.
- All workshops very interesting – pitched for the age of the audience and with the language used.
- Lots of information given, good subject knowledge, quick and fast paced – children enjoyed the activities.
- Good practical activities, very clearly explained and well resourced.
- All presenters were excellent, very interactive ways of getting information over to students.
- Different style and props to change the way information given and no chance of zoning out of context.
- All presenters very knowledgeable and passionate and great with the children
- All fun and informative, engaging for the age group
- Children learn so much and how to save lives, when presented with safety advice.
- Clear information, engaged with the children and provided key instructions and information relevant to the scenario, great rapport and reinforcement.
- A very impressive and interesting event. As a parent I have learnt a lot too!!
- Very professional and interactive, kept the children’s interest throughout.